Hard water is sometimes a trouble for our houses! It leads to various problems both in the water using equipment installed at our homes and the water pipes as well. Health wise too, the hard water is troublesome especially for the skin. If you have a sensitive skin, then long term usage of hard water can lead to various skin related disorders.
So, all in all, there are plenty of reasons to get rid of the hard water through various tricks.
What is hard water?
Hard water implies that the water is having a high level of mineral content and it is formed when there is a high deposition of chalk and limestone in it. Hardness of water is of two types:
- Temporary hardness
- Permanent hardness
What are the effects of hard water?
You actually need to know that why should you actually employ the methods for softening of hard water. The following are the general effects of the hard water:
- Hard water produces less lather with the soap. You can check out more details and facts on this website.
- In the plumbing too, hard water forms deposits that causes clogging. This leads to lesser flow of water through the pipes. This effect often leads to failure of the boilers.
- Corrosion due to deposition of ions.
- In a water pool, the water becomes a bit milky or unclear due to the presence of hard water.
- Hard water may harm the plants as well
- The clothes may becomes more yellowish in appearance
How the hardness of water can be determined?
To treat the hard water it is very essential to know the level of hardness the water has. The samples of the hard water can be tested in a laboratory where the levels of the following minerals will be checked for the presence in the water sample:
Hardness of the hard water is measured in grains per gallon also known as GPG. The different level of water hardness is as follows:
- 0 to 1 GPG constitutes soft hardness
- to 3.4 GPG indicates slight hardness
- 3.4 to 7.1 is for moderate hardness
- 7.1 to 10.6 indicates hard
- A level well above 10.6 GPG tells that the water has a very high level of hardness
Tips to treat hard water
Below are mentioned those tricks through which the hardness of water can be treated. If you’re looking to buy a treatment tool, then the following informative website on Water Softener reviews will help.
- Boiling the hard water makes the minerals get deposited at the bottom of the container
- Treating it with lime and soda ash precipitates the minerals which can be removed through the process of precipitation
- Adding sodium bicarbonate
- Water conditioners which are magnetic or electronic
- Polyphosphate feeders: Use the polyphosphate crystals which are dissolved in water and coat themselves around the minerals present in the water.
- Ion exchange water softeners: Simplest method to treat the hardness by removing the magnesium and calcium in water.